Cutting down your electricity bill doesn’t have to be difficult. These tips can help you conserve energy as well as cut costs.
Schedule a Home Energy Assessment
Home energy assessments provide the opportunity to understand how much energy is used by your home, as well as how this energy is being used. Home energy assessments are different than the typical home inspection because they focus on mechanical systems, insulation, air sealing and opportunities for cost-effective energy efficiency upgrades.
After a home energy assessment is completed, you can expect to receive your home energy assessment score. You will also receive:
- An explanation of the score
- Along with the total annual energy used in the home by fuel type
- The monthly or annual cost of energy purchased by fuel type
- The current average annual utility retail energy price by fuel type
To schedule or learn more about home energy assessments, contact Alpha Environmental at 503-406-6686.
Other Easy Changes To Help Lower Your Electric Bill
- Install dimmer switches so you only use the amount of light you need.
- Use ceiling fans instead of air conditioning.
- Line dry your laundry or use a clothing rack instead of the dryer.
- Turn off and unplug electronics and chargers when you’re not using them.
- Cut down air conditioning use by closing curtains and blinds when it’s sunny out.
- Switch to LED lights, which use 90 percent less energy than iridescent light bulbs.
- Change your air filters every few months to keep your HVAC system running efficiently.
- Take shorter showers.
- If your city offers cheaper off-peak electricity rates, wait to do laundry and run the dishwasher until off-peak hours.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient appliances.
- Wash laundry in cold water. Since most of the energy consumed by your washing machine goes towards heating water, this can result in significant savings.
- Save water and energy and only wash full loads of laundry.
- Set your thermostat to run less when you are sleeping or at work.