Brownfield land is previously developed land that is no longer in use. The land was used for industrial or commercial use, but now is or may be contaminated by hazardous substances or pollutants.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that over 450,000 brownfields exist in the U.S. Examples of brownfields include former:
- Gas stations
- Oil refineries
- Metal plating facilities
- Dry cleaners
- Manufacturing plants
Brownfields need to be remediated to make them safe for other uses.
Our professionals at Alpha Environmental have the experience and equipment for brownfield remediation and development. Contact us today to schedule a free estimate from one of the most reliable brownfield redevelopment companies in Portland.
Why Develop a Brownfield?
Brownfield redevelopment helps:
- Turn abandoned land into community assets. Brownfields are often located in central areas where infrastructure is easy to access, making them great for places like parks, plazas, recreational areas, municipal facilities, and housing.
- Boost the economy through job creation. Brownfield remediation requires professionals to prepare the site for redevelopment, as well as professionals to develop the new site.
- Bring the community together. Brownfields are an opportunity to create amenities that the entire community can enjoy. Plus, when local parties are involved, the community tends to be much more involved and invested in the redevelopment.
- Eliminate potential health risks. Brownfields are often contaminated with hazardous materials, making them health risks to anybody in the area. Remediating a brownfield helps reduce exposure to environmental contamination and makes the area safer for everyone.
- Increase property values. Abandoned sites decrease property values in the community. Brownfield remediation benefits the community by allowing development of amenities that help boost property values.
Brownfield Remediation Process
Brownfield redevelopment typically involves 3 phases:
- Pre-development: Involves laying the foundation for a successful development. This phase involves multiple assessments, creating the redevelopment plan, and determining how to finance the project.
- Development: Involves getting permits and approvals, cleaning up the brownfield, and constructing the new site.
- Management: The developer decides whether to hang on to the property, assuming responsibility and maintenance, or sell it to someone who will.
Brownfield Redevelopment Services
Our professionals can help with the following brownfield development services:
- Financing assistance and applications. You could be eligible for city, state, and federal brownfield grants, loans, and other funding sources. The city of Portland offers two grant options:
- $400,000 grant to assess contamination on properties around the city, with a target area of East Portland
- $1 million grant for a Revolving Loan Fund (RLF) for cleanup on private properties
- Grant eligibility check. To be eligible for either grant:
- The current property owner can’t be responsible for the contamination.
- The project must demonstrate financial need for funding.
- The proposed project must demonstrate community benefit, such as new jobs, new goods/services/amenities, reducing a health hazard, or rehabilitating a long-vacant site.
- Environmental site assessments. We can help with both phase one assessments, which determine the probability that property has been contaminated, and phase two assessments, which determine whether the site actually has environmental contaminants. This includes soil, soil gas, and groundwater investigations.
- Regulatory interaction and approvals. Brownfield development requires local and state land use approvals and construction permits.
- Work plans, designs, and implementation strategy. A brownfield development plan outlines community engagement, designs and/or models for the redevelopment plan, and a step-by-step strategy for implementing the work plan.
- Land development and survey services. Once the plan and approvals are in place, the brownfield is ready to be surveyed and developed.
Contact Us for Brownfield Redevelopment in Portland, OR
At Alpha Environmental, we have decades of experience with brownfield remediation. Our professionals know how to properly remediate a brownfield to prepare it for becoming something that will benefit your community.