Asbestos is a group of six minerals made of flexible, heat-resistant fibers. Although asbestos is still included in hundreds of products in the U.S., numerous regulations have restricted its use due to its high carcinogenic potential and association with numerous health conditions.
If you live in a house built before 2004, you may want to schedule testing to assess how much asbestos is in the house and the risk of harm it presents to your family. Alpha Environmental offers comprehensive asbestos testing in Portland, Oregon.
Call us today at 503-292-5346 to schedule an inspection.
Where is Asbestos Hiding?
Since asbestos is used in numerous building materials, it can be all around you and yet hidden in plain sight. Some of the most common areas where asbestos is present include:
- Textured ceilings
If you discover asbestos or suspect that it is in your home, contact Alpha Environmental.
Testing for Asbestos
Alpha Environmental professionals are highly trained and certified to perform testing in residential and commercial buildings. We utilize advanced equipment and proven testing methods to locate asbestos in your home or office. We use three different methods for identifying asbestos.
We utilize polarized light to analyze mineral-specific properties in fibers. We identify asbestos particles and various species of asbestos particles that exist throughout the interior. Tests specify the percentage of asbestos within a certain building material after analysis.
Sampling dust from a surface by scrape sample, tape-lift, wipe, or micro-vacuuming are common methods that we use to determine the presence of asbestos on surfaces. The results are useful to our team when determining if asbestos is present in a building.
Contact Alpha Environmental for Asbestos Testing in Portland
Asbestos Testing FAQs
Testing of suspect asbestos containing materials is required by the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). For more information please visit: https://www.oregon.gov/
Asbestos samples need to be at least 1 inch x 1 inch pieces for asbestos testing lab analysis purposes. Our AHERA certified sampling technicians do their best to remove as little material as possible from the most discrete area possible while still following the requirements. There may be visible damage when removing a sample that is simply unavoidable.
Drop Off Samples:
- Regular – $92 for first, $49 for each additional
- Results would be available in about 5 business days. If you choose this option, we would only need about a 2-inch section of each area with about the size of a quarter of mastic included. Each room/area can go into Ziploc bags.
- Rush – 2-3 business day – $122 for first and $79 for each additional
Technician Site Sampling:
- Regular – $250 for selective sampling technician cost, $92 for first, $49 for each additional
- Rush – $250 for selective sampling technician cost, $122 for first sample, $79 each additional
- 1 Business Day Rush – $250 for selective sampling technician cost — $213 for first sample and $170 for each additional
Standard: 5 business day turn around
Rush: 2 business day turn around when received before 2:30 pm
- When demolishing or remodeling in Portland or Lake Oswego
- When testing in any apartment, commercial building, or public building
- When remodeling or demolishing a home or multi-family unit (4 units or less) that is built after 1978 AND is NOT in Portland or Lake Oswego
Full site survey: $750 for technician
Limited Survey: $500 for technician – $92 for first, $49 for each additional
Survey Rush: $141 First Sample and $98 each additional
24 hour survey rush: $238 first and $195 additional