Septic Tank Cleaning & Pumping in Portland
To safely remove wastewater from your home, your septic tank stores waste until bacteria breaks it down and the liquid inside the tank goes into the drainfield (also called a “soil absorption field”). The drainfield—a series of perforated pipes that slope down from the septic tank—expels the liquid into the ground, naturally removing any harmful bacteria or viruses.
When inside the tank, the waste breaks down into 3 layers:
- Scum: Oils and greases that float to the top of the tank and get trapped in a special compartment
- Liquid: The remaining liquid waste (known as effluent) that gets expelled to the drainfield
- Sludge: Solids that settle at the bottom of the tank
Like other systems in your home, septic tank systems need regular maintenance to prevent issues and efficiently do their job.
At Alpha Environmental, our professionals have the knowledge, training and tools to properly clean or pump a septic tank. View our septic tank services or contact us today to schedule a free estimate from one of the most reliable septic tank cleaning companies in Portland.
Importance of Septic Tank Maintenance
Regular septic tank maintenance does for your septic system what changing the engine oil does for your car: it helps the system run optimally and prevents problems.
Regular septic maintenance will:
- Help your system run more efficiently. Routine maintenance ensures a healthy ecosystem in your septic tank, which allows the bacteria inside it to effectively break down waste.
- Prevent buildups and backups. Routinely clearing out the waste inside your septic tank removes any scum or sludge that may have started building up inside your tank—and would have caused a blockage or backup.
- Catch any issues before they become serious problems. When a professional inspects your septic tank, they can tell you if any problems exist so you can fix them before they get worse. They can also advise you on any unhealthy septic habits you may need to change.
- Prevent expensive repairs or cleanings. By catching problems early on, you’ll prevent them from becoming massive issues that can only be fixed with expensive repairs or cleanings. Plus, you’ll save yourself from having to repair any damage to your property.